East and West Smithfield were built over underground railway sidings which enabled livestock to be brought directly into the markets.
Smithfield Poultry Market was constructed in 1961 – 1963 to replace the previous Victorian building which was destroyed by fire in 1958.
The post-tensioned concrete shell roof is claimed to be the largest clear span dome roof in Europe.
Sinclair Johnston and Partners were appointed by Savills on behalf of the Smithfield Market Tenants Association to undertake a detailed inspection of East and West Smithfield and Smithfield Poultry Market. This was required in order to assess the ongoing maintenance and repair liabilities for the buildings.