The original tower of St. George’s, modelled on the mausoleum at Halicarnassus, included two lions and two unicorns around the base. An image of the tower was included in the background of William Hogarth’s famous etching, “Gin Lane” (1751). The beasts were taken down in 1875 on the instructions of the then church architect G.E. Street on the stated basis that they were dangerous, but just as likely because he considered them too frivolous!
New beasts were designed, carved and erected by Tim Crawley. Like the originals, these new beasts are of Portland Stone and stand more than three metres high. Sinclair Johnston and Partners provided advice on the stability and permanent and temporary loadings for the news beasts.
Sculptor: Tim Crawley of Fairhaven at Anglesey Abbey
2006 Georgian Group Architectural Awards: Winner -Restoration of a Georgian Church
The Natural Stone Awards 2006: Winner –Craftsmanship
Natural Stone Craft Awards 2007: Winner –Monuments and Carving
Wood Awards 2008: Winner – St George’s Bloomsbury (New North Gallery) – Best Use of British Timber, Shortlisted – St George’s Bloomsbury (New North Gallery) – Best Use of Panel Products, Shortlisted – St George’s Bloomsbury (New North Gallery) – Best Small Project
RICS Awards 2008: Winner – St George’s Bloomsbury (North Gallery) – Craftsmanship in Conservation, Shortlisted – St George’s Bloomsbury – Building Conservation